cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmiLee
Level 6

Creating a folder in a Website, but NOT an application!

I need to create a folder (Virtual Directory) in a subfolder under a web site that runs on either IIS6 or IIS7 - Server 2003 or Server 2008. I need this VD to NOT be an application, but can't seem to make that happen!
Right now my solution is to create a Virtual Directory and Application and then, through the userguide, show the end user how to demote the VD to a simple folder . . .
Anyonw knows how to do this properly?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

At the moment, the IIS functionality in InstallShield always creates a virtual directory as an application. This is something that will likely be enhanced in a future release to allow for creating virtual directories or applications.
0 Kudos
JimmiLee
Level 6

Ok, that's too bad, but at least now I don't have to waste time to try and figure out how to do it 🙂
Looking forward to this functionality . . .
0 Kudos
rcuadra
Level 6

joshstechnij wrote:
At the moment, the IIS functionality in InstallShield always creates a virtual directory as an application. This is something that will likely be enhanced in a future release to allow for creating virtual directories or applications.

Josh, I just like to point out that during my testing using IS 2009 if a user creates a virtual directory manually and you try to run a IS 2009 installer and enter the same VD name IS 2009 does not check for the existing VD but rather create a new application, I think it would be useful to also have IS check to see if an existing VD already exist before creating a new one. It would also be useful for us customers if IS will have a dialog that will prompt for user for information rather than us creating one. Just something that should be part of IS I think.
0 Kudos
pnvpratik
Level 3

joshstechnij wrote:

I have the same problem and due to this my web site now has 2 ways to access it one using the application and another through "application/virtual dir" path . is there any way to prevent that ?
If not when will the above quoted functionality be available ? I am using IS 2009 SP2 right now.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

This is creating a major headache for us as well. With the current forced application creation we have quite a mess in our hands and currently we have quite ugly workarounds which don't make much sense to anyone taking a look at the IIS manager after the installation.

Ability to create a virtual directory without an application would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos