cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarberColman
Level 2

Create project from an setup.exe

Hi
We have a install program created with Install Shield by an out side firm, which has sense gone belly up. Can Install Shield create a project from an existing setup.exe. This should be a simple install but we do not have experience using install shield in house.
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

You can use Repackager to create an InstallShield project from Setup.exe. Repackager is available with the Premier edition of InstallShield (and with AdminStudio).
0 Kudos
BarberColman
Level 2

Thanks
I have downloaded and installed the demo version of 2010 Premier. Where do I find the re packager?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Repackager is not available if you are evaluating InstallShield Premier Edition. It is only available if you have purchased InstallShield Premier Edition.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Here's another thing you could try: If you have an .msi file that is not compressed within the Setup.exe file, you could open that file directly within InstallShield. (On the Open dialog box, you would select Wizard in the Open As list. That way, InstallShield will create an InstallShield project from the .msi file.)

If there is no .msi file, you could try to run Setup.exe from the command line, and use the /a parameter. If the installation was created from a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project and you do this, the /a option causes Setup.exe to perform an administrative installation. (An administrative installation copies and uncompresses your data files to a directory.) Once you have this .msi file, you could open that file directly within InstallShield. (On the Open dialog box, you would select Wizard in the Open As list. That way, InstallShield will create an InstallShield project from the .msi file.)

If the installation was created from an InstallScript project, you would need to use Repackager.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos