cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
google44
Level 4

Create dialogs in installscript project, a nightmare

How do i create a Welcome type dialog in installScript projects ? No, clone it's not working properly, publish option is not working properly. Did Installshield even test it's product ? Until now i found at least 10 obvious problems with the product.For a few thousands dollars paid for this product i expect more than this. I clone a dialog, modify it's name but when i try to include it in wizard an error message appears, something like a detected loop inside WaitOnDialog. If clone option is not working properly why it is included ? I never succeed to create a usable dialog with this option. Also publish option is crap, i need to recreate a previously created dialog because of that.I am a developer and a tester and i have enough experience but i never see such design problems and issues as i see in installshield. I don't know who test is2008 but i would do it for free if only as a result problems will be solved. Does somebody have an idea what's the problem with clone option ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Darain
Level 6

Agree, agree, and agree. But if you are stuck with IS, you may try right click All Dialogs -> New Dialogs. Creating from scratch was easier for me.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I have not had any problems with cloning or creating new custom dialogs. Did you create a new script function that will call the cloned dialog that you renamed? If you are not using the old Welcome dialog a better option might be to just modify the dialog instead of cloning it. This way the existing function (SdShowWelcome) will work with it.
0 Kudos
google44
Level 4

I create another dialog from scratch, of course i still cannot create a Welcome type dialog. It seems that is impossible to create a new Welcome type dialog from scratch without problems. Even if you make it, there is always the same problem with transparency of controls which makes the clone option absolutely useless. You cannot create Welcome type dialog from scratch and you cannot use clone option, great, keep up the good work with installshield.
esiemiat i'm using the Welcome dialog so i can't modify it, the only option is cloning dialog. I've made a script that calls the renamed clone, the dialog is loaded, no problems with that but i cannot put any controls on it because there are not transparent anymore. Any control i add to the clone dialog results in a grey control on a white background, which makes it useless.
This are not new problems, this problems exist in 11.5 also, so i don't know why i bought this new version because there are exactly the same problems and more. Where's the evolution ?
0 Kudos