cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swissmaster
Level 3

Convert Setup.exe to MSI package

Hello everybody

Is there a way to convert Exe projects into Msi?
It's getting really bored now I tried the "Export components wizard" to transfer components from a Exe setup to a msi setup. But there is always an error during the export with no information at all, just "Error during transfer" (so no chance to troubleshoot).
I have to provide a Msi setup really soon, but I have not enough time to go trough every single file in the Exe Setup and transfer it into the Msi.

If there is no tool available is there a chance to create some kind of a "summary" of the Exe Setup (like a text file or excel file where I can see all files and where there are installed...)? This would also help me, so like that I don't have to swith between the Msi and Exe setup all the time.

Thank you
Best regards,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Swissmaster
Level 3

:mad: I found another thread with the same question. There is no solution!!!

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=182561&highlight=export+components+wizard

What experiences do you have with InstallShield? Is there another better tool available? Basically it is not a bad tool, but I think, when you start to create complex installation setups the install shield isn't the right choice. I have many errors when building a new release, but mostly there are unuseful error message like "Error in component XC89392i3489" or "Error during export" so I have no chance to trouble shoot.

Do somebody have good experience with other tools? Please let me know

Thank you very much

Best regards,

:mad: :mad:
0 Kudos
Swissmaster
Level 3

I have found the following thread: http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=182561&highlight=export+components+wizard

So there is no solution. :mad:
Basically I think that the installshield is not a bad tool, but when you start to create complex setups it is not the right choice. Many times when I build a new release I have errors like "Error in component/Module XX3434..." or "Error during export" so there is no chance to trouble shoot.
Do somebody have a good experience with other install software studios? I really need another tool.
Thank you

Best regards,
0 Kudos
Swissmaster
Level 3

So I checked the forum again and also the internet: Result: No tool to do the Exe -> MSI conversion.

But is there at least a chance to create some kind of a summary report of an existing install shield project? An overview (ex. as a text file) which shows all components and files and their installation directory?
Like this I could print it and it would be much easier to create a MSI project (I just have a look on the list). Because currently I always have to switch between the MSI and the Exe Setup.

Thanks
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If this is an InstallScript project or some other non-MSI based installation, the InstallShield Repackager (included with AdminStudio or InstallShield Premier edition) could be used to capture the changes made to a machine with the non-MSI setup and create a Basic MSI project based on the captured changes. Besides this method, the only other way to accomplish this task would be to manually recreate the project.
0 Kudos