cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pradana
Level 6

Connect to Oracle & run scripts

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to using InstallShield, and now I would need some assistance using IS 2009.

I'm currently creating an integrated installer to deploy a .NET web app together with the database (tables, SPs, etc) it will be using. The database is in Oracle and likely to be on different machine with the web app. Assume that the database is ready to use.

I'm about to execute some scripts to create tables, procedures, etc to the Oracle database. I have created a connection in "SQL Scripts" view, and ticked Oracle at the "Requirement" tab, but in "General" tab the form doesn't seem fit to enter Oracle database credentials (host, service name, port, role). Did I miss something? What are actually the steps to do such?

I hope my language is not confusing, Thanks 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

If you press F1 when the General tab is displayed for your SQL connection, you'll see the help topic that describes the General tab. That help topic explains that for the Default Target Server Name field, you can enter the host, port, and service name. It also shows a sample entry.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
pradana
Level 6

Thanks Debbie for information, I have followed the steps given.

Anyway, I got another problem when running the installer. When I click Next on the SQLLogin dialog, an error message appears saying Error 27502, something about Microsoft ODBC Driver Manager. We're currently using ODAC 11 for connecting to Oracle.

Appreciate any help thanks
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Can you post a screenshot of the error message?
0 Kudos
pradana
Level 6

Hi,

Here I attach the screenshot.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please make sure that you have the Oracle Instant Client software installed on your target machine. Also, make sure that you have the following files in the Oracle Instant Client folder:

ORACORE10.DLL
ORANLS10.DLL
ORAUNLS10.DLL
ORAUTS.DLL

Oracle documents that "To use the Microsoft ODBC and OLEDB driver, ociw32.dll must also be copied from ORACLE_HOME\bin" in the Oracle Call Interface Programmer's Guide. ociw32.dll is included in the the Oracle Instant Client Basic package, but those dependencies are not included.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
pradana
Level 6

Oracle Instant Client? I already have ODAC 11 (Oracle Data Access Components) installed in target machine. Are they different? :confused:

Will Oracle Instant Client install "the whole oracle database" in the target machine? Because the Oracle database will be on remote computer (not in target machine).

Btw, I found this:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/dotnet/utilsoft.html

Is that the Oracle Client that you mean?

Thanks in advance. Really sorry if my questions sound stupid.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You need to have the Oracle Instant Client installed on the machine where you run your setup, in order to connect to an Oracle database using InstallShield. Please see the Connecting to an Instance of Oracle and Running SQL Scripts InstallShield help topic to find out how to create a setup prerequisite for the Oracle Instant Client.
0 Kudos
pradana
Level 6

It works now! Thanks lots for the advise hidenori 🙂
0 Kudos
pradana
Level 6

Another question:

If I would use Instant Client 11g, would I need the following files?

ORACORE11.DLL
ORANLS11.DLL
ORAUNLS11.DLL
ORAUTS.DLL

And how can I obtain these?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please check this out. I think you can copy the dependencies from the full 11g client software.
0 Kudos