cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanceRas
Level 7

Compression Tip and Feature Request

This is based on a comment from Michael U that I thought would be worth posting as a tip and nice reason for moving to IS2009.

For past few editions, IS has supported compression on the installs, which takes more time to make the build and extraction on the customer side, however it lightens the install.

Kudo's to the dev team for now adding a configurable option specifiy the level of compression, being from a default of Speed/Size balance to a level of 0 to 9 for compression, 9 being the tightest (and naturally slower).

Unfortunately at this time, it is a global setting not per project. Also, unfortunately, its not a GUI setting that can be changed and must be made editing the Settings.XML. Search for StreamCompression and set the value to an appropriate number.

Hopefully this will be a definable option soon in the IDE and Release options.

To give an example, with the -1 default, a build came out at 12,912,368 bytes. With 9 for max compression, a build came out at 11,102,944 bytes.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'd be interested in knowing a bit more of the makeup of this particular build (in terms of file types and relative sizes involved) as most of our tests showed a much less significant difference between default and max compression levels.

I've entered this request for IDE-changeable per-project StreamCompression settings into our tracking system as IOC-000072168.
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

When I get some time I'll do another comparison and then list out original file sizes.

I still think things can get tighter by using 7ZIP for compression, but it is getting a bit better.

Thanks for putting in the change request. I think having that feature will be good and makes it easier for the end-user to determine the compromise of speed / size.
0 Kudos