cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_hotn
Level 2

Command Line Path Variable With Spaces

I am trying to execute InstallShield from the command line (ISCmdBld.exe) while setting the value of a path variable to a value that contains a space. If I omit all spaces, InstallShield will properly assign the supplied value, but if the value includes spaces, it will leave the value unassigned. Examples:

The following works (note that "VisualStudio" is all one word when assigning value to MY_PATH):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2013\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p "C:\Projects\Visual Studio\MyProject\Installer.ism" -r "Release name" -a "Default Configuration" -f MyFlag -e y -l MY_PATH= "C:\Projects\VisualStudio\MyProject\"

The same thing with a space does not work:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2013\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p "C:\Projects\Visual Studio\MyProject\Installer.ism" -r "Release name" -a "Default Configuration" -f MyFlag -e y -l MY_PATH= "C:\Projects\Visual Studio\MyProject\"

How can I assign path variables with spaces?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
hidenori
Level 17

It's not reproducible on my end. I create a brand new Basic MSI project and add a static file with a custom path variable. I am able to build the project from IsCmdBld.exe successfully by overriding the custom path variable with the exact same path that you use as "C:\Projects\Visual Studio\MyProject\" and "C:\Projects\VisualStudio\MyProject\".

You might want to have a quick test by creating a new project with a few files included, and see if you can still reproduce in your development environment.
0 Kudos