cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Code signing with only a .SPC file?

I had a VeriSign Code Signing cert previous which gave me both a spc and pvk file. It expired so I got a GoDaddy 3-year (less expensive) but they only issued me a .SPC file, no .PVK file as I assume the .PVK is in Windows 7/IE 8 somewhere. I right-clicked the .SPC file they sent me, installed it, I can view the certificate but the only export options are P7B or CER files. PFX is grayed out. Regardless, I don't have a .PVK file to specify in the Code Signing section.

So in this case where all I have is the SPC file from GoDaddy, how do I sign my code in InstallShield 2010?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
NealC804
Level 8

This problem was a result of GoDaddy's site not working with IE 8. After calling support I used FireFox and the .p12 file was created.

So now a few questions:

1) Will IS 2010 use a .p12 file which apparently is the new PFX file or do I need to rename it to .pfx for it to work?

2) If a PFX (p12) file is used, can the PVK field be left blank?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I think you will need to rename the file for InstallShield to invoke the "pfx" style handling. I'm not certain whether we support .p12 files either; that would depend on whether Microsoft's SignTool.exe supports them. If you do provide a .pfx file, you do not need to provide a .pvk to go with it; the .pfx includes both the public and private key in this case.
0 Kudos
ssitech
Level 3

Is that all you need to do? Rename the .p12 file extension to .pfx? I had the problem of backing up my Firefox code-signing cert but it saved it as a .p12and IS 210 doesn't recognize .p12, on .pfx.

So just to be clear, renaming the extension will be okay??
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't know enough about the different file formats and what signtool supports. If it happens to support a .p12 file, hopefully it will still support it even with a .pfx name, so it's worth a try. If not, you will have to figure out how to convert the file.
0 Kudos
ssitech
Level 3

Actually, I have tested it and it works. I had to "back-up" my cert from Firefox and it saved it as a .p12. I took that file and changed the extension to .pfx and it worked signing my code using Installshield.
0 Kudos