cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sairen
Level 7

ClickOnce? One-Click? Other?

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction for a new install project we're needing.

The project is a plug-in to someone else's application. So we just need to deploy an ActiveX control, an INI file...maybe a couple other supporting DLLs to the target machines. We'd like it to be light, simple, and readily updated.

I've been reading IS' documentation on ClickOnce deployment and One-Click Installs, and I had a couple questions.

First, can One-Click installs support Firefox or Safari browsers?

Second, when I was tinkering with the ClickOnce wizard, it insisted upon a Primary Application Assembly, which it defined as the exe you use to launch your product. Since our stuff is a plug-in, there would be no such exe (or at least, we don't distribute the exe), so is this the wrong kind of project to use?

Finally, which would you personally choose for my situation and why?

Thank you SO much for your time.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

OneClick is a delivery for other project types that lets you start it over the web. (But so do most browsers and clicking on a link to a single exe file build.) ClickOnce is sandboxed, so I doubt it would work for an extension to another application; the application would likely be unable to find your extension.

I'd tend to recommend a Basic MSI. Keep it small so it's easy to make valid minor upgrades, optionally wrap it in a setup.exe, and run with it.
0 Kudos