cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcggcg
Level 4

Cleaning Up the Tables

I have a very large Basic MSI installer that I've been working on for quite awhile. I've noticed that the directory table has gotten quite littered with unused entries over time - directories that I had created and later decided not to use, etc. I suspect there are other tables with similar clutter too.

Is there a feature, function or utility that can be used to clean up the tables and get rid of entries that are not used anywhere?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

Not sure if there is a utility but I'd be very careful deleting directories from the Directory table. I've gotten very messed up in a large project trying to do just what you are doing. You don't know your table is wrong until run the installer.
0 Kudos
gcggcg
Level 4

Hi enanrum,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you completely. I have a small test installer that I use to try out different approaches and I inadvertently deleted an entry from its directory table once and, like you said, only found out about it after I built and ran it. Trying to straighten it out was a nightmare.

That's why I posted here because I don't really want to risk that kind of outcome on the actual project.

Given Installshield's propensity to create new directory entries at the drop of a hat and then never get rid of them, I'd think some sort of utility would be a necessary addition to the product. But it's looking like that doesn't exist.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

+1 for a tool to do this.

I routinely tidy up as I go along and before a setup release. But that still leaves unused stuff that I'm not sure about so I leave it in.
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

Hey all - just found the "Clean Up" utility in the Tools->Options->Directory Tab -> check the Clean Up on the bottom! Have not tested it but at least it says it will do what we want it to do.

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos