cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbynryn
Level 2

Check an application is running before installation begins..

Hi there,

I need to do a deployment package for my project and that should initially check if a particular application is running to continue the installation. If that application is found to be not running then installation should display a message saying "that ** particular application is not running.." and stop.

Please help as I don't have much knowledge on install scripts..

Thanks,

Regards,

Bobby
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MattQVI
Level 8

I have the same issue with IS 2011.

What is odd is that I tried uninstalling while running an application that my install originally installed and InstallShield caught it. Asked me to shut down the application before continuing. Although in the end it didn't work, I found it interesting that there was automatically some protection when uninstalling. When I had an application running and tried to install again, I got the Modify, Repair, Remove dialog but never got notified that an application was running like I did for uninstall.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

InstallShield does not have an integrated method to check if a process is running. However, you can get something to work using code from InstallSite used for killing processes. I know, you are not looking to stop a process, but it also includes the code to list running processes.

https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?183763-Kill-the-background-process
0 Kudos