cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
william_hudson
Level 3

Cannot set OS Version to multiple values

I am using InstallShield 2013 LE in Visual Studio 2013 (apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum, but since the other one is labelled 'Express' I had to make a guess).

In step 5, 'Define Setup Requirements and Actions', under System Hardware Requirements, I can select 'All Operating Systems' under 'OS Version' or I can select a single OS. But if I try to select multiple OSs using the checklist I get an error message 'Field "Condition' of table "LaunchCondition": The string is too long for the length specified by the column definition.' I used to be able to do this in earlier versions of IS.

Is there a workaround for this? I need to specify Windows versions after XP.
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
Chaitra
Level 9

Hello William,

Kindly un-check the check box "All Operating Systems" and now multiple OS can be selected as per your requirement.

I have attached a screen shot of the same, where in i have selected multiple OSs using the check list.

Hope this helps.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance with this issue.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
william_hudson
Level 3

Chaitra -

Making the selection isn't the problem (see my original note). When I do as you have described, I then get the error message (again from my original note) 'Field "Condition' of table "LaunchCondition": The string is too long for the length specified by the column definition.' This happens AFTER I click OK on the screen you showed. (I would attach a screenshot byt the forum interface doesn't offer me this, however, it is just a popup message box with the message and an OK button.)

Regards,

William
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hello William,

Thank you for your quick response.

I am not able to reproduce the issue that you are facing regarding the pop-up error message. After i click OK, it successfully works and i am able to build my setup project.

Could you kindly try restarting your Visual Studio application and select multiple OS -> Apply and see for the results.

Kindly let us know if the problem still persists.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
william_hudson
Level 3

Okay, it seems to be 'Windows Vista'-related. If I choose everything but Vista, or Vista on its own, all is well. But if I choose Vista in combination with anything else I get the error message described earlier.

William
0 Kudos
william_hudson
Level 3

No, actually, it's a bit more weird than that. I exited VS2013 and re-ran it and then it failed for any combinations. Then I exited and re-ran and it worked as long as I didn't include Vista. So, it's not being entirely consistent.

Also, sometimes the error message has quotes around some of the phrases (as shown in my original note) and sometimes it does not.

William

PS - I should have mentioned that this project was upgraded from VS2010.
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi William,

Thank you for the updates on this issue.

I select Windows Vista alone- (it works fine).

I select Windows Vista with the combination of other OS- (it works fine).

When you say it is not being consistent, you may want to try clearing up your registry entries, run a "Repair" process of Visual Studio and then integrating InstallShield Limited Edition with your VS project and please check if you can observe the same behaviour.

It should work fine after this cleaning process.

Kindly let us know the results and if you need any further help.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
william_hudson
Level 3

Chaitra -

I repaired VS2013 and removed Installshield 2013 LE from Control Panel. I then re-downloaded and installed Installshield. It has had no effect on the problem.

Is there some way I can export my IS settings, delete the setup project and create a new one? I wouldn't like to try this without an export/import of the settings since there may be some important ones I'll miss.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

William
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hello William,

You can find "Import and Export Settings" under the "Tools" tab where you can retain your configuration settings of Visual Studio Project, but you may have to create the InstallShield Limited Edition settings when you integrate your ISLE project with Visual Studio project.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
william_hudson
Level 3

The Tools -> Import and Export Settings dialog doesn't appear to include InstallShield settings so really doesn't help. I deleted and recreated my InstallShield LE project (and deleted the underlying setup folders) but had exactly the same problem when I got to selecting the OSes. However, I found that if i kept everything from Vista onwards (including the server OSes) I didn't get the error message. If I tried to exclude the server OSes as well, I get the error message. So to summarize, what works is

- selecting all OSes
- selecting one OS
- selecting multiple OSes in some not-yet-entirely-understood combination

I still can't select what I want without getting the error message I described - Windows 8.1, Windows 8.0, Windows 7 & Windows Vista. I have just tried this in a brand new InstallShield LE project in another folder and it behaves exactly the same.

I am running VS2013 on Windows 8.1 (64-bit). The version numbers from the About VS dialog are:
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
Version 12.0.30110.00 Update 1
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.51641

Installed Version: Professional
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi William,

Thank you for the update.

I am able to reproduce this issue on my machine with few particular combinations of OS and I shall report the same to our engineering team. I will update you with this at the earliest.

As a work around for now, you can select all the OS excluding Windows XP ( as per your requirement ) and build the setup without any errors.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I'm pleased to announce that InstallShield 2015 Limited Edition is released today and the issue is fixed in that new version of InstallShield Limited Edition.
0 Kudos