cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlucas
Level 2

Cannot see files in folders of projects in solution converted from VS 2012

I discovered an issue with InstallShield 2015 Limited Edition when used with Visual Studio 2015 solutions.

I have a desktop solution that I recently converted from VS 2012 to VS 2015. This solution has 33 projects. In projects that have folders, I cannot view any of the files inside the folders whenever I have an ISLE project in the solution. For example, inside the main application project I have a folder called Forms. Inside the Forms folder are all of the Windows Forms in the application. From the Visual Studio IDE, this folder appears to be empty. I cannot view or open any of the forms. I know the files are still part of the project because the application compiles and runs, I can see the files in source control, and I can see the files in the file system.

This problem afflicts all projects that have folders in them in this solution. For example, I have database projects that each has a dbo folder, with sub-folders for Tables, Stored Procedures, and Views. I cannot see or open any of the files in these projects, even though they exist in the file system, are part of the project, and compile with the solution.

This problem also exists for new folders and files I add to any of these projects, not just folders that were there when I converted the solution. If I create a folder called Hello and add a class to it, I can see the folder but not the class.

This problem is not a symptom of the conversion. You can see if for yourself if you create a new solution, add projects with folders, add files to the folders, and then add an ISLE Setup project.

This problem does not afflict solutions that do not have an ISLE project in them. It only afflicts the projects inside solutions that have an ISLE Setup project. It also does not afflict folders that are part of the solution itself, as opposed to projects inside the solution.
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi,

I tried creating a SQL server project and created a folder. Then created a bunch of tables in the new folder.
When I added the isl project to the solution and built with it, I still see the tables in the folder under the SQL server.

Do you see the same behavior if you repeat the same steps?
Please correct me if these steps do not reproduce the issue.
0 Kudos
dbarnard1
Level 3

I am having this same issue and posted a separate thread about it before seeing your question. Here's where I posted my question:

https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?219488-ISLE-with-VS2015-breaks-navigating-my-solution
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi,

Is it possible to provide reproduction steps?
What type of project is created before LE project was added to the solution?
0 Kudos
dbarnard1
Level 3

I tried a brand-new solution with just an ISLE project in it, and it allowed me to open subfolders, so I haven't narrowed it down to why it breaks some solutions and not others.
0 Kudos
dbarnard1
Level 3

I had a few WPF executables with a few class libraries before adding the ISLE project.
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Nevermind, I think I reproduced it. Might be a UI bug...
It seems like the existing unexpanded folder/code does not expand after LE is added to the solution.
However, if you have already expanded and collapsed them before, then they still work after the project is added.
0 Kudos
dbarnard1
Level 3

I think that the ability to expand the folders comes and goes, but I can't figure out what causes that to happen. At the moment, the bug seems to be persisting, and I can't find a workaround.
0 Kudos