cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonzaler
Level 3

Cannot create Single Setup.exe (using Basic MSI Project)

Jump to solution

I am using InstallShield 2015 - Professional Edition, version 22, Service Pack 2

I 've attached a word document with print screens.

I am using a Basic MSI Project.

I followed the article => https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Build-a-Compressed-Single-EXE-Installer/ta-p/4119

I have read that Basic MSI Project's is not able to create a Single Setup.exe Install - but I need a confirmation on this and perhaps a conversion project suggestion (I mean convert the project into one that does supports Single Setup.exe installs)  if this is the case.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

It looks like you have have used "Advanced Files > Disk1" under Support Files, this instructs Installshield to place files in the Disk1 folder (not inside the setup).

If you want to include these files inside the setup.exe you will need to remove them from the advanced Files view. Depending on how you want to design your installer you then have a few options:

1. Use Language Independent Support Files
2. Manually create prerequisites for the files
3. Create new Features/Components to add them to your installer.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator

Basic MSI project can create compressed single setup.exe installers - and the settings that you have in place all look correct.

Do you have multiple releases in your project? Could you accidently be building the wrong release?
Try specifically right clicking the release that you want to build and then selecting "build" from the menu that appears.

What files do you actually see that have been built?
If this doesn't help are you able to provide a sample .ism project file?

0 Kudos

Thanks for replying,

I have attached an updated word document with 2 additional print screens that shows the releases I have - I am using the Network one to try to create the single setup.exe install.

I have also attached the project (*.ism) file.

The current output contains setup.exe and 2 folders which are pre-requisites, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Camera Driver.  I want to get rid these 2 folders so that they are in the setup.exe itself.  You can ignore the install instruction pdf file - that one will be manually included for our customers.

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator

It looks like you have have used "Advanced Files > Disk1" under Support Files, this instructs Installshield to place files in the Disk1 folder (not inside the setup).

If you want to include these files inside the setup.exe you will need to remove them from the advanced Files view. Depending on how you want to design your installer you then have a few options:

1. Use Language Independent Support Files
2. Manually create prerequisites for the files
3. Create new Features/Components to add them to your installer.