cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rperreta
Level 3

Can not launch CMD File... Please help!

Hi All,

We purchased IS 2010 Premier and I put together a great installer package however after the install installs all the files I need to run a vbs from the installdir folder. I tried 50 thousands ways and I can't seem to get it and it's a big problem for us. I know it can be done I just need someone to shed some light on this for me, I must be missing something really simple... See the enclosed screen shots..

thanks
-rjp
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

I would try one of three approaches:

1. Define a function in the *.vbs file, and give the function name in the custom action properties (otherwise it won't know where to run in the script).

2. Change the custom action to just store the script code in the custom action itself (this gives you a 'Script' tab in the custom action properties).

3. Just call cmd.exe to run the *.cmd file instead of involving VBScript:

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q111515

(a *.cmd file, as far as I know, is the same as a *.bat file, so the same steps should apply)

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

thanks for the reply I will give it a shot and let you know...

-rich
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

This is annoying... I either get 1721 or 1101 errors. I don't understand why it's so difficult to run a freaking batch file! Does anyone have any links or step by steps on how to do this. We paid over 6k for the package and I can't launch a batch file! I'm running out of time (deadlines) I have to try and get this going today...

A little more light:

1. I want to install the files to c:\ssrs - easily done
2. I want to launch a batch file from c:\ssrs - PROBLEM

Questions:

1. I noticed the cmd sometimes shells out to windows\system - I tried changing directories and all with no luck.

2. the CMD window launches but does not see any of the command params or runs the batch file.

thanks
-rich
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

1721 means that the path to the *.exe file was somehow wrong, and that it couldn't be run. I assume you got past this, since you are actually seeing the command shell open?

to answer your questions:

--You might shell out to System32 if the batch file wasn't passed to cmd.exe quite right
--Not seeing the commands means that something didn't resolve quite right.

Can you post a screenshot of how your custom action is set up? Or, you might want to double check the fact that the Directory Identifier of where you're installing to is correct (since it might not be INSTALLDIR depending on how your project was set up).

Lastly, if you generate a verbose logfile, you can generally see if there's something amiss with the command that's being used to run the custom action. I would just search for the name of the custom action in the verbose log created from:

Msiexec.exe /i package.msi /l*v c:\install.log

or

setup.exe /v"/l*v c:\install.log"

My guess is that something's not quite right with the commandline being passed, and that a simple tweak or two should fix it.

--Cary
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

ok here is what I have...
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

In addition to the screen shots I just posted here is the log:

MSI (s) (A8:40) [15:27:00:418]: Doing action: LaunchCMD
Action 15:27:00: LaunchCMD.
Action start 15:27:00: LaunchCMD.
MSI (s) (A8:40) [15:27:00:433]: Note: 1: 1721 2: LaunchCMD 3: C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\ 4: "nircmdc.exe" EXECMD "C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\rsscripter.bat"
Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: LaunchCMD, location: C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\, command: "nircmdc.exe" EXECMD "C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\rsscripter.bat"
MSI (s) (A8:40) [15:27:02:324]: Product: CleverCAD SSRS Installation -- Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: LaunchCMD, location: C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\, command: "nircmdc.exe" EXECMD "C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\rsscripter.bat"

Action ended 15:27:02: LaunchCMD. Return value 3.
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

1. Do I need to call CMD or in my case nircmdc first?
2. Would it be better to launch a vb script?

-rjp
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Here's the issue I see (sometimes I forget about this and it bites me, as well):

"nircmdc.exe" EXECMD "C:\Program Files\CleverDevices\CAD.SSRS\rsscripter.bat"

There's no path to nircmdc.exe -- you actually need the path, since the working directory isn't enough. So try:

"[INSTALLDIR]nircmdc.exe" EXECMD "[INSTALLDIR]rsscripter.bat"
0 Kudos
rperreta
Level 3

thanks so much for working with me I appreciate it... I did do that as well and I tried it just now again to make sure and I get the same thing - 1721
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

It looks like your custom action is an immediate execution action, and it is scheduled before the InstallFinalize action. Try moving your custom action after this action.

For more info, see this help topic:
Sequencing a Custom Action that Launches an .exe File
0 Kudos