cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naveed
Level 6

Can Virtual Directory name be different from the Folder name in Physical Path?

Please view the attached IIS website view of my project in Installshield 2010, Basic MSI.

As you can see, WebSite->ApplicationName and Virtual Directory ->Content Source Path have been highlighted in red.

If both these names are same, IIS website is installed correctly. However, if folder name given in Content Source Path is different from Application Name e.g. folder name is changed from "ImageServer" to "ImageServer2", Installer works incorrectly. In this case, it creates an additional virtual directory with the name "ImageServer2". So, now target system has two entries, a website with name of "ImageServer" and a Virtual Directory with name of "Image Server2"

Please help me with this problem? In my view, physical path & virtual directory name should be independent. Is it a bug?

Thanks.
Naveed
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

I don't know if this is what is causing the problem or not, but I do know that if you create a physical folder in a websites root directory it will show in the list, even if it is not associated with a virtual folder. You can still map a virtual folder to that location and it will then show two entries, one for the physical folder and one for the virtual folder.
0 Kudos
Naveed
Level 6

If I map "Virtual Directory ->Content Source Path" to a different folder not in IISROOTFOLDER e.g. I map it to ProgramFilesFolder/InstallDir folder. Will this solve the problem?

Is there any other way to create a vitual directory for a folder that is not in IISROOTFOLDER?

Thanks.
naveed
0 Kudos