cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg58
Level 3

Can I show dialog boxes before install Redistributables?

Hello,

I use InstallShield 2010 Professional. I build an install that requires MSSQL Server. I set checkbox "MSSQL Server 2005 Express SP3" in Application Data->Redistributables. Before installation MSSQL, I want to show dialog boxes with server name, sa password etc. I want to install MSSQL Server in silent mode with parameters from my dialog boxes. Besides, I want to add additional prerequisite condition in my dialog boxes (1. install only my program or 2. install sql server and my program).

Can I show dialog boxes before install MSSQL server from section redistributables? How?

Many thanks in advance!

Greg
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

IS 2010 supports Setup Prereqs ( ran by setup.exe before setup.msi ) and Feature Prerequistes ( installed later only if a feature is selected to install ).

So when you click on the redist, just click on a feature to associate it to and the install will occur later. You can then write any kind of custom UI that you need.
0 Kudos
Greg58
Level 3

Thanks for your answer.

I don't want to use Feature Prerequistes, because I think that InstallShield doesn't control installation of this complex program (MSSQL) when MSSQL is a feature. I would like to install MSSQL from "Setup Prereqs (ran by setup.exe before setup.msi )" or from section "Redistributables" with my dialog boxes with server name, sa password etc. How can I do this?

Many thanks in advance!

Greg
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

hmmm...seems it's only good for Basic MSI with the feature pre-req (http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/Helpnet/installshield15helplib/PrereqTypes.htm). Sadly, we're using InstallScript MSI (for now at least). We may just settle with the default setup pre-req's w/ no custom dialogs for now unless there are any suggestions for doing this with InstallScripts.

Thanks guys.
0 Kudos
Greg58
Level 3

I don't want to use Feature Prerequistes. I want to use Setup Prereqs. Christopher Painter wrote "IS 2010 supports Setup Prereqs ( ran by setup.exe before setup.msi )". How can I do this?? Can I show my dialog boxes in setup.exe and later use information (server name etc) from this dialog boxes in setup.msi in redistributables section???
0 Kudos