cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevin_Hodgson
Level 5

Can Defereed Custom Actions SetStatusWindow successfully?

Is it possible for a Deferred Custom Action to successfully use SetStatusWindow?

I have a custom action that could take a minute or two to execute (it's uninstalling old Installscript versions of our product if they're in the destination directory), and I want to update the Status Window with the fact that previous versions are being uninstalled.

Additionally, is it possible for a Deferred Custom Action to access the String Table?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

This is an InstallScript MSI project? (See also follow-up comments [thread=181350]here[/thread]...)
0 Kudos
Kevin_Hodgson
Level 5

RobertDickau wrote:
This is an InstallScript MSI project? (See also follow-up comments [thread=181350]here[/thread]...)

Hi Robert,

It's a Basic MSI Project.

I was trying to use SetStatusWindow ( 0, @StringTableEntry )

As for the ActionTable, how is the Description Localized? Does it get corresponding entries from the appropriate string table?
If I added an Action to the ActionTable entry with a name equal to my Deferred Custom Action, the Description would be displayed in the Progress Window?

I'm just looking at the help for it, now, I'll need to figure out how to licalize it properly.

Thanks,
Kevin
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Actually, I think SetStatusWindow is only for InstallScript. Please see for example this tip for information about ActionText and SetupProgress and such (PDF warning): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/setup_progress_0506.pdf.

But yes, items from the ActionText, Error, and a handful of other tables are stored in the string table.
0 Kudos
Kevin_Hodgson
Level 5

RobertDickau wrote:
Actually, I think SetStatusWindow is only for InstallScript. Please see for example this tip for information about ActionText and SetupProgress and such (PDF warning): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/setup_progress_0506.pdf.

But yes, items from the ActionText, Error, and a handful of other tables are stored in the string table.

Thanks Robert, this looks like it'll solve my problem.

I take it the IDS_ACTIONTEXT_ entries in the String Table correspond to the Description Column of the ActionText table?

Thanks Again
Kevin
0 Kudos