cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaryRBS
Level 3

COM Interop

I'm using VS 2012 and InstallShield LE Spring 2012 for Visual Studio. I'm new to IS, having used VS 2005 & 2008 and VS's Setup and Deployment projects.

In my main project, I need to check the Register for COM Interop. Does that mean in my IS project on the .dll Properties "COM & .NET Settings" I need to check the COM Interop?

I can't get my project to install (or register?) properly on the client machine. It works fine on my development machine, but I'm using gacutil and regasm. It appears to install successfully on the client, but errors (can't find it) when called. When I checked the Installer Class, I get a 1001 error on install and it rolled back. I thought this was showing me an error I had all along, but didn't see. However, searching the posts, it sounds like it's an error with that option. Also, I tried changing the Registration Type on that same tab to Extract COM information. Once chosen I can't seem to choose None anymore. When I save it and go back, it's back to Extract COM information.

Are these the settings I need to be concerned with to get registered on the client machine? It seemed to all work automatically with VS's S&D projects, or perhaps it's a difference between VS2008 and VS2012 that I'm not aware of. What's odd is that it worked the first time I installed it on the client machine. But after uninstalling and reinstalling with minor changes to main project, I haven't been able to get it to work. Is it possible the Uninstall removed something??

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Mary
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Mary,

Yes, Please try checking "COM & .NET Settings" in your InstallShield Project. And you may also reinstall InstallShield on your client machine once and check if it has the same issue.

Kindly let us know the updates, so that we can assist you further on this.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
MaryRBS
Level 3

What do I need to check/select on the "COM & .NET Settings" tab?

I finally got it to work on the client machine last night. That tab has "Extract COM information" selected; then Scan Dependencies and Properties selected; no Application File selected; both check boxes at the bottom are NOT checked. The last thing I tried was unchecking the Istaller Class. Also, I rebooted the client machine.

This morning I made some nominal changes to some if/then logic and the size of the form that is called. Uninstalled, reinstalled and I'm back to the "Attempt to execute COM object failed. Could not create object" message when try to run it. I tried uninstalling, rebooting, install, same error. Did one more reboot, same error.

On my development PC, I built the main(?) project, did the regasm/GAC stuff, then rebuilt the install project and the whole solution, then grabbed the setup.exe for the client.

I'm not sure if it's just flaky (tech term) or it's not saving my settings or I'm not setting something correctly.

thanks,
Mary
0 Kudos
MaryRBS
Level 3

update:
I've tried a few iterations that are failing this morning. But I reinstalled the version that worked last night and first thing this morning and that still works on the client. That makes me think it's not a flakey client machine. I tested the latest version on my development machine and that does work. That makes me think it's NOT the small screen and logic changes I made, but the installation project or how I'm using it.

Mary
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the updates on this.

Could you please attach a screen shot of your file configuration so that we can have a closer look at the settings being done?

Kindly co-operate and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
MaryRBS
Level 3

I wasn't sure what all you wanted me to include. See attached and/or let me know what else I can supply...

I am unable to upload any attachments?? I get a 404 error.

thank you in advance for you assistance.
Mary
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the update.

I have provided you with out ftp location details. You can upload the screen shot there.

Please check your private message for ftp location details.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Chaitra
0 Kudos