cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephenConnolly
Level 3

COM Extract working on one machine but not on another

I am in the process of setting up a new build server on Windows 2008 using Installshield 2008. The build procedures on my dev server all work fine, but on the dev server I get the old favourite
ISDEV : warning -4354: The build was unable to extract COM information from the file

The file registers fine if I just use the /REGSERVER parameter.

I've disabled DEP and switched off AV temporarily but neither of these has any effect.

The only differences I can see are that the build server is a VM running under ESX, rather than on bare metal and my dev server has the full dev envrionment on it, rather than just the standalone IS build tools.

Any help, suggestions gratefully received.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
HenryL
Level 5

So every registry piece is there after you execute the app with /regserver? We used to add the SA build engine to the exception of DEP to solve the problem with the precondition that all the dependendies for the app are present. Since you disabled DEP already so that should not be a problem. Maybe you want to use Dependency Walker to load your app just to make sure that all the dependencies are there.
0 Kudos
StephenConnolly
Level 3

Tried that - if the deps were missing then the /regserver wouldn't work when I ran the app. And I already tried dependency walker. Anyone in techsupport going to come up with some way to debug this? Any logging options?

The sooner I can transition this mergemodule into Wix the better.
0 Kudos
HenryL
Level 5

Try to disable UAC to see how it goes?
0 Kudos
StephenConnolly
Level 3

no difference. As I said in the OP this works on another machine that is configured in the same way afaict. What I need is better diagnostics to help me see where the extract is failing.
0 Kudos