cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agshah
Level 7

Building InstallShield project from command line without fully installing InstallShield

Hi,

I have a InstallShield 2021 Premier InstallScript MSI project and I can build it from command line using IsCmdBld.exe.

Is there a way to build this from command line without fully installing InstallShield ?

I tried building with just IsCmdBld.exe on a machine where there is no InstallShield installed. But it does not work.

what is the minimal required to build this project from command line without a full InstallShield installation ?

thanks,

Labels (1)
(5) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @agshah , 

You can use our SAB (Standalone build) which will help to build the project using command line, 

And SAB is not a full version of installshield its a minimal version to build the project, and its a free version, you can download from PLC (Product and license center).

Please refer our help link shared below, which explains the product comparison, you can see SAB at the last.

https://www.revenera.com/install/products/installshield/installshield-compare-editions

Once you login to PLC with valid login credentials or using community portal --> Get support -->  Product and license center,  

You can see the SAB version named as shown below, its an example, if yours is perpetual license you will see different name but with same IS 2021 SAB or IS2023SAB.

InstallShield 2023 Standalone Build Subscription

Once you download and install IS2021 or IS2023SAB in a machine, you can see the installed path with named SAB like shown below

EX: C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2021 SAB\System

Please refer attached screenshot case portal on how to launch SAB in cmdlet.

Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO".

0 Kudos

Hi Varul,

thanks for your response.

It seems SAB still needs to be installed (maybe by running a setup.exe or msi file) on machines where I need to build our IS project.

I was hoping if there is anything like a file copy where I can push some InstallShield files over to the machines and then be able to build from command line. Is that possible ?

0 Kudos
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator

Hi @agshah,

Thank you for your post.

No, that is not possible. The InstallShield Standalone Build (SAB) needs to be installed via the installer that can be downloaded from the Product and License Center. A direct copying over of files is not an intended use case. The InstallShield SAB installer needs to be used / run.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

thanks for the info.

I tried to install "InstallShield2022R1_Standalone_Build_setup.exe" on Windows 11 Pro and Windows Server 2022 Standard. On both machines, the installer comes up and I can see the progress of the installation. However, then the GUI disappears without any confirmation that product is installed.

I don't see if in the 'Programs and Features' in the control panel. I also don't see any folder like "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2022 SAB".

Any idea how to successfully install it?

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @agshah

Please a raise case with support, they will be able to assist over a call or teams meeting and which will solve the issue faster.

Could you please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case to track this issue. That will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you. 

You can also raise a case by sending an  email at support@revenera.com

0 Kudos