Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liorafar
Level 6

Building InstallShield 2011 projects with previous InstallShield versions

Hi! --- Need Help Quick Please!
I want to move to InstallShield 2011.
I want to create new projects on 2011 and keep the old version projects in 10.5
does anyone knows if projects from InstallShield 10.5 and 2011 can be built together and live together without any problems ?
This build will be done by our build machine.
Thanks,
Lior.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
GarrettDyer
Level 5

liorafar wrote:
I want to create new projects on 2011 and keep the old version projects in 10.5
does anyone knows if projects from InstallShield 10.5 and 2011 can be built together and live together without any problems ?

Absolutely. However, you might consider converting those 10.5 projects to IS2011.

In this thread, you'll see a problem with building an IS2011 project using the Automation Interface when IS2010 was also installed. I also had the same problem with the Build method, but was unable to try the fix (uninstall IS2010), so I use the Automation Interface to modify the ISM (product name/version, path variables, project properties), then use command-line build instead of the AI.

This past month I converted most of our existing 10.5 projects into IS2011 projects, and the majority of them were not only simple to convert, but we've had nearly zero problems with the resultant installers. Some of the smaller projects remain IS10.5, and we'll continue to build them on our build server along side our IS2011 projects.

The only problem I had with converting the 10.5 projects to IS2011 was one of the projects relies on Maintenance mode to upgrade an existing installation, but after the conversion to IS2011, IS set UPDATEMODE to true instead of MAINTENANCEMODE. That took a while to uncover and fix, but now it works just as it did.
0 Kudos
liorafar
Level 6

I'm about to convert projects to 2011, however it will take a lot of time.
Until then, Thank you very much for your support!
🙂
0 Kudos