Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edward5000
Level 2

Big file patching error

Environment : InstallShield2011, Win7 x64 ENG

Hi all,
I am using IS2011 to make patch. When I tried to make patch for a program which includes a 500MB big cab file in its previous and latest version, there is an error. The error log is :

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Cleaning up temporary files...
ISDEV : error -6415: There was an error creating the patch package. Writing contents of log file 'C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\PatchConfiguration2\Interm\PatchCreation.log' to output window.
The patch creation process has completed with: 1 Errors and 0 Warnings. [/FONT]

And the PatchCreation.log says:

INFO Comparing Files: C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\Product Configuration 1\Release 1\DiskImages\DISK1\program files\My Company Name\My Product Name\Data1.cab C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\Product Configuration 2\Release 1\DiskImages\DISK1\program files\My Company Name\My Product Name\Data1.cab...
INFO Different sizes...
INFO File Key: _5DC003B1FE4A58B40C185ABE8E12603D is modified
PERF INFO: File Info Lookup Time: 0 ms
PERF INFO: C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\Product Configuration 1\Release 1\DiskImages\DISK1\BigPatch.msi 182 ms
PERF INFO: C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\Product Configuration 2\Release 1\DiskImages\DISK1\BigPatch.msi 185 ms
SCHEMA: Table: Patch has mismatched schema (or missing column) for: Header
INFO: Could not read the patch cache info from C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\PatchConfiguration2\Cache\Latest2\_5DC003B1FE4A58B40C185ABE8E12603D.PCI file. Error: 2
ERROR: Cannot create patch file for 'C:\InstallShield 2011 Projects\BigPatch\Product Configuration 2\Release 1\DiskImages\DISK1\program files\My Company Name\My Product Name\Data1.cab' at 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\ISPAC4B.tmp'.
ERROR:
The Last Error Received is: 0x8 (8)
PERF INFO: Time spent generating the patch transform: 7 ms
INFO: Temporary folder is about to be cleaned out and deleted: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\ISPAC4B.tmp
ERROR: Internal PatchWiz Error occurred.
ERROR:
The Last Error Received is: 0x91 (145)
ERROR: During cleanup, could not delete the temporary folder: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\ISPAC4B.tmp.
ERROR:
The Last Error Received is: 0x91 (145)
PERF INFO: Total Patch Creation Time: 457 ms

I searched the -6415 error online. There is none of following questions on my machine.
This error occurs for the following reasons:

A temporary directory cannot be created because there is no space on the drive.
A neccessary DLL file is missing or corrupt. This missing or corrupt DLL is usually located in the /System folder. Some possible DLLs are PatchWiz.dll or MsPatchC.dll.
An invalid GUID is used for ProductCode, UpgradeCode, or Package Code.
Either the base or upgraded MSI package(s) are missing the UpgradeCode and the previous setup settings have the Match Upgrade Code set to Yes (default). When this option is set, the UpgradeCode is required for the latest and previous setups.
The MinorUpdateTargetRTM or OptimizedInstallMode patch properties are set, and patchwiz.dll earlier than 4.0 is being used to build the patch. There is an issue with version 3.1 of patchwiz.dll which prevents a patch from building when using these options.

The previous version being referenced by the patch has Require Administrative Privileges set to "No" in the Summary Information Stream (located in General Information).

I try changing the environment to other machine or using some other big files, the error remains. If I remove the big files, the error disappears.

Have I missed something? Can you give me some help? Any help is appreciate.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
snip_1415
Level 4

Hi,

What is that u r trying to do with this patch. I mean r u trying to udpate files, add files, delete files. or something else???

How the cabs of the MSI file are included, internal to MSI or external??

One more question, R u using IS2011 "Patch Desing View" to create this patch?? Try to disable the caching option of patch design view and then build the patch.
0 Kudos
Edward5000
Level 2

snip_1415 wrote:
Hi,

What is that u r trying to do with this patch. I mean r u trying to udpate files, add files, delete files. or something else???

How the cabs of the MSI file are included, internal to MSI or external??

One more question, R u using IS2011 "Patch Desing View" to create this patch?? Try to disable the caching option of patch design view and then build the patch.

Hi,

I am trying to update files. I want to update a big file A from previous version to latest version. Msi files are loose which means external to msi.

Yeah. I am using IS2011 "Patch Design" page to create patch. I tried to disable the caching option. But it seems there is no difference. The error remains.

The problem is if I include some big files in the previous version and latest version and try to build a patch. It will fail. Once I remove the big files from the two version, it will succeed. So I want to know does IS2011 support big file patch. If it supports, then I will check environment of my machine.

Thanks,
Edward
0 Kudos
snip_1415
Level 4

Hi,

Try to find this 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\ISPAC4B.tmp' on ur local system (temp folder). Delete this file and try to build the patch again.

Also disable the caching option.
0 Kudos