cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BizerbaDev
Level 6

BasicMSI: How to find out if a specific application is already installed?

Hi,

Before starting my BasicMSI setup I'd like to check if another software of my company was already installed on the target machine. I was planning to use a System Search but noticed that I cannot search for a file as the install path for the product is flexible (user could have installed the first product to a different location than the default location). I also cannot check for a registry entry as there is no entry done by the first software manually.
I was wondering if I could search for one of the entries in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\
but I'm under the impression that the GUIDs that are used for the installed products there are generated and I also cannot simply search for a specific product that is installed.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

By the way: I'd also like to check for the installed version of the product.

Regards

Ralf
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
manomatt
Level 8

can't you check for the uninstall string for the other software? you can find it under the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"
0 Kudos
AmitRout
Level 5

You can also use the inbuilt function "MsiGetProductInfo()" with the proper arguments.

--Amit
0 Kudos
T5_Driver
Level 3

I think that you could use a System Search of type "File path, by searching folder".

You can then search for a specific file name and determine where to start the search and how many folders deep you want to dive. There's even a "Search all drives" option.

Hope this helps.

-Mark B.
0 Kudos
BizerbaDev
Level 6

Hi,

just wanted to close this thread. I ended up using the solution that was provided by mano.n.s75:

Checking the registry for the Uninstall entry of the searched product worked out for me...

Thanks!!!
0 Kudos