cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken_Alverson
Level 4

Basic MSI installing or uninstall to Gobal Assembly Cach

I created a very small installer for installing three dll's to global assembly cache. For some reason we are seeing errors on a totally unrelated module. The error is Error 1905. Module C:\WINODWS\SysWOW64\cwbunapi.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel. Nowhere in our msi project file is this dll referenced at all. It is a bit of a mystery to me why this error is displayed on uninstall. The error does not affect the results of the install or uninstall, but it is a bit annoying to see any strange error at all. Is there a way to fix this issue?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

What I'd try is to go into each of those Components and find the entry called ".NET Scan at Build" and change those to "None" and rebuild and try again, if you haven't tried that yet. The default is "Dependencies and Properties" which can cause the resulting MSI to include extra things beyond what you know you authored. It's one thing to try, at least. That would be my top suspect sort of loosely based on what you are describing.

Chad
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Here's info from the relevant control context. The other one to try is "Properties Only" lie they mention below.

Indicate whether you want the key file of this component to be scanned for .NET dependencies, properties, or both at build time. Available options are:

None: InstallShield does not scan the key file of this component for .NET dependencies or properties.
Properties Only: At build time, InstallShield scans the key file of this component for .NET properties. InstallShield populates the MsiAssembly and MsiAssemblyName tables with the assembly properties, as needed.
Dependencies and Properties: At build time, InstallShield scans the key file of this component for .NET dependencies and properties. InstallShield populates the MsiAssembly and MsiAssemblyName tables with the assembly properties, as needed. In addition, InstallShield adds the missing files, components, and merge modules that are required by the .NET assembly to the release.

The build-time scan does not scan the key file of a component if the key file is not a .NET assembly file.

Note: To install an assembly to the Global Assembly Cache, select the Properties Only option or the Dependencies and Properties option.
For more information, see Identifying Properties and Dependencies of .NET Assemblies (help topic: IdentifyingDotNetDepProp.htm).

Chad
0 Kudos
Ken_Alverson
Level 4

chad.petersen wrote:
What I'd try is to go into each of those Components and find the entry called ".NET Scan at Build" and change those to "None" and rebuild and try again, if you haven't tried that yet. The default is "Dependencies and Properties" which can cause the resulting MSI to include extra things beyond what you know you authored. It's one thing to try, at least. That would be my top suspect sort of loosely based on what you are describing.

Chad

Thank you Chad, this resolved our issue with the random error messages. I installed and uninstall several times on a machine that always displayed errors before and now it is clean. No more errors. Thank you for your fast and accurate resolution to our issue.
0 Kudos