cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Cowan
Level 3

[Basic MSI] System Search Xml to IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER property

I feel like I am drowning on what should be a simple issue. I want to read a value from an xml file and put it in the IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER property so the SQLLogin dialog displays it in the server box.

I am using a brand new Basic MSI installer to test this. I use simple .exe component. The basic msi installer works just fine. I added the SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialogs to support a simple .sql script. Once again it works just fine.

The file I want is C:\Program Files\GURU\Server\GuruLicensingService.exe.config and the Value I want is in 'DatabaseServer'

localhost\MVSQLEXPRESS

I go to system search and I use the wizard to add a new XML search.

FileName: GuruLicensingService.exe.config
Full Path: [ProgramFilesFolder]GURU\Server
XPath: configuration\GuruLicensingService.Settings\setting[@name='DatabaseServer']
Contents of Element
Just Store In Property: IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER

ARGH.
I have tried trimming the XPATH down to just : configuration and use the Existence of node.

Nothing changes the darn IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER property!

Bonus Help.
I have no idea what people mean when they say generate the msi logs? I use setup.exe /debuglog sto see some logs, but nothing about System Search is displayed.

Please help .. oh and sorry for the bad grammer, its late here .. been a long day and my eyes are twitching 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Michael_Cowan
Level 3

Truth #396 - When tired we make dumb mistakes.

I got this working and just thought someone else searching might see something that sparked them to sole it as well.

I had the xpath slashes backwards (sigh). Also, even though the example of the screen does not start with a slash it is required .. (Example: Element/SubElement)

here is the correct XPath for my xml above.

/configuration/GuruLicensingService.Settings/setting[@name='DatabaseServer']
(Look For Contents of Element)

Thanks if you thought about answering.
0 Kudos