cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmorin
Level 3

Basic MSI Silent Install on Vista

I have created a Basic MSI installer that will be run in Silent mode. On XP and below all works as expected. But on Vista, the installer will not run. I am getting an Error 1925: Insufficient privileges...
I have tried changing the Requires Administrative Privileges to No, but the msi still will not run.

I have seen that to run in silent mode, the command prompt must be set to Run as Administrator. Is this something I can change or am I correct in thinking that if the end-user has not already pre-set the Command Prompt to run as Administrator, my install can not be run in Silent Mode?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

On Vista an MSI can only elevate if it is not silent (or if has already been advertised), so yes, you will need to launch it from an elevated context. If they're launching a setup.exe, you can set the setup.exe to be manifested to request administrator privileges. If they're typing in msiexec /i my.msi /qn it will have to be an already-elevated command prompt, (or after being advertised from an elevated context).
0 Kudos