cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
byteflyer
Level 2

Basic MSI Major Upgrade INSTALLDIR

Does anyone know how to retain the installation directory on a major upgrade?

I am testing a major upgrade that removes the existing installation and then installs the new version, and am able to migrate all of my original installation's user provided Property values except the installation directory.

Whenever I run the full UI on the upgrade the installation dir defaults to the default Installation dir for the install, not the actual installation directory for the current version.

I have tried writing a reg. value with the first installation capturing the installation dir and reading that value in a system search sequence on the upgrade, which works for all of my other persistent data, but will not populate the INSTALLDIR.

I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree with this, so any push in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Does an MSI log file tell you anything more about properties being set at the right or wrong time?

(If you haven't, perhaps see this newsletter tip about setting INSTALLDIR from a system search [PDF]: http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/is_install_dir_from_app_search.pdf.)
0 Kudos
chloesmith
Level 2

@byteflyer wrote:
Does anyone know how to retain the installation directory on a major upgrade?

I am testing a major upgrade that removes the existing installation and then installs the new version, and am able to migrate all of my original installation's user provided Property values except the installation directory.

Whenever I run the full UI on the upgrade the installation dir defaults to the default Installation dir for the install, not the actual installation directory for the current version.

I have tried writing a reg. value with the first installation capturing the installation dir and reading that value in a system search sequence on the upgrade, which works for all of my other persistent data, but will not populate the INSTALLDIR.

I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree with this, so any push in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.

I'm changing my INSTALLDIR location in my installer. In my installer project, previously I was installing at location "XYZ" and now I want to install at location "PQR". So I changed INSTALLDIR property in my installer aboutalljobs. It's working fine for fresh installation but while upgrade scenario it's not changing INSTALLDIR.

0 Kudos