cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBB123
Level 3

Avoid Web Address

Hi,

I am using InstallShield 2009 InstallScriptMSI project. During the creation of the project, in the Application Information section (shown in figure below), I don't want to give any web address (not even any default or junk name) in the section. What should I do?

Thanks in advance
Jithin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Clear it, hit back, and jump to the next screen. Or ditch the Project Assistant altogether and use the Installation Designer.
0 Kudos
JBB123
Level 3

Thanks Michael,

Hope this procedure will not affect the installation by any means...

One more help please....Is it possible to give the application version a number like 1.00 or 2.00. In the help manual I could see that the application version should be in the format aaa.bbb.ccccc. Is this format compulsory??
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You should consider it compulsory, yes. The format is defined by Windows Installer (see the ProductVersion Property page on MSDN), and we are all at its mercy for when and how it chooses to enforce this.
0 Kudos
JBB123
Level 3

Thanks Michael.

But I could see some applications in control panel showing versions like 1.0 or 2.0. For example see the screen shot attached.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I prefer to recommend only things I know are safe unless it's clear I'm describing a hack; other things may still work. 🙂 If that's an MSI package, that's a pretty good indication that such a version string will work, at least to some extent (although if it's a non-MSI package, it doesn't indicate what a different ProductVersion will do). What it doesn't tell you is if all operations on that MSI will work propertly - i.e. will major upgrades properly find the package, will patches uninstall, etc. - so test every operation you expect to care about.
0 Kudos
RightClicker
Level 3

In every version of InstallShield I have used over the last 10 years( Currently using 2015 suite). For regular installs, if i do not go into the Project Assistant and click in the "Specify your company web address:" field and press enter before i build the install, InstallShield will change the web address every time. It is quite the thorn in my toe. Our company name is Elliott Data Systems and the URL we want is ElliottMobileSolutions.com. InstallShield insists it should be ElliottDataSystems.com, but we are the customer and i believe we should be able to specify the URL!!! No it is not a critical bug, just a very very irritating one. I have always used the Project Assistant to build, guess i need to listen to MichaelU and stop using it. Or InstallShield could stop BLINDLY creating the Company URL from the company name. Sometimes it's the small things.
0 Kudos