cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjhock
Level 3

Automatic Uninstallation of Older Versions

I'm looking for a feature in InstallShield. Not sure what it would be called or what version of InstallShield it would be found in.

When a user tries to install an application with InstallShield, I want InstallShield to automatically uninstall older versions. What is this feature called in InstallShield and what version of InstallShield can I find this feature in?

Michael
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

If you use InstallShield to create Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) package, this behavior is known as Major Upgrade. It has been available since day 1 when Windows Installer was first released more than 10 years ago.
0 Kudos
mjhock
Level 3

Is Major Upgrade functionality available in the version of InstallShield that I can get by owning VS2012 or must I purchase a version?
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

I believe it is the Express Edition, and it does. However, Express Edition does not expose all aspects of Windows Installer through its GUI. If you need a finer control of the installation tasks, you will need to purchase Professional Edition, or Premier Edition if you intend to create multi-lingual installer.
0 Kudos