cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

Auto Installing Microsoft .NET 1.1

I have a basic MSI project and see where to require 1.1, but I do not see how to include it as part of my install, and have the user install it right from my installer?

I'm pretty new to Install Shield, using 2010 Professional. Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you search the InstallShield help library for ".NET 1.1", you'll see how to include it with your installation.
0 Kudos
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

I see, the J# thing was confusing me. Here is what it says:

The .NET/J# tab is where you add support for the 32-bit versions of the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0. It is also where you add J# support to your project.

My project requires both 1.1 and 2.0, am I understanding this correctly that I can't have IS install both?

Also, where is the .NET/J# Tab? I only see "Start Page", Project Assistant, Installation Designer, Microsoft App V.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I think that's correct about the default setup, that you can choose either .NET 1.1 or 2.0 Framework. (Later .NET versions are included with InstallShield as "setup prerequisites", where you can choose more than one, but I don't know that 1.1 or 2.0 is included in the bunch.)

That tab should be associated with a release that you've defined: in the Releases view, select a release, and the tabs should be there...
0 Kudos
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

Thanks for your responses, I'll give that a try!
0 Kudos
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

Ok I am still missing something. I have one release. I clicked on the SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE, and the .NET/J# Tab.

I set these options:

Extract from Setup.exe
.NET 1.1
Display .NET Option Dialog: Yes
Show full user interface.. : No
Delay .NET Reboot: Yes

However when I launch my setup.exe on my test machine, the first message I see is that .NET Framework 1.1 is required, then the setup finishes without installing anything! I'd like the installer to install the framework, then continue with my program. Is this possible?
0 Kudos
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

(nevermind!)
0 Kudos
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

Hmm I still don't have the .NET 1.1 correct, when I select YES, it says:

Windows cannot find 'C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Tempt\{GUID}\1033dotnetredist.exe'

Then the install fails. None of this is in the help document! I need some pointers please 🙂
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

So there are no build warnings? If nothing, perhaps see the ".NET/J# Tab for a Release" help topic, which mentions needing to use Tools > Redistributable Downloader to download .NET 1.1 redist language packs.

(Searching these forums for that file name 1033dotnetredist.exe turns up additional information that might help.)
0 Kudos
KbalzKbalz
Level 4

Robert - Downloading the Redistributes worked great, thanks for the pointer.

My installer installs both .NET 1.1 and 2.0sp2, reboots, then installs my program. This is pretty much how I envisioned it!
0 Kudos