cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danquo
Level 3

Assembly question...

Not sure if anyone has encountered the need for this, but...

I have an assembly that is used by several product installs that lays down some common files and performs some tasks during install. I would like to support upgrading the product and have the upgraded product re-execute the assembly installation (i.e. like a Replace property of "always replace"), so that the common tasks can be run again.

From what I can tell, this doesn't seem to be possible unless the assembly's version is updated and I include the updated assembly.

Am I wrong here? Is there a way to have a product install force an assembly to install/replace without having the assembly have an incremented version?

Daniel
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
krbprogrammer
Level 3

danquo wrote:
Not sure if anyone has encountered the need for this, but...

I have an assembly that is used by several product installs that lays down some common files and performs some tasks during install. I would like to support upgrading the product and have the upgraded product re-execute the assembly installation (i.e. like a Replace property of "always replace"), so that the common tasks can be run again.

From what I can tell, this doesn't seem to be possible unless the assembly's version is updated and I include the updated assembly.

Am I wrong here? Is there a way to have a product install force an assembly to install/replace without having the assembly have an incremented version?

Daniel

I think you are correct and I too am having this issue. I have an assembly with 2 sub-features. Once one of features is installed I am unable to install the other. Probably due to the main UUID for the assembly being detected in the vpd. 😞
0 Kudos
milind13
Level 3

I Second you guys on the same problem.

I pretty much have the same issue.

I have two features, each one having a assembly. the installer product launches the first assembly and screens come up fine, but it never launches the second asseumbly...

but when it comes to the pre-install summary screen, it says it will install both the features and also runs both the assemblies.

my question here is, how should i tell the installer to launch both the assemblies when i have both the features selected.

as per the help that IS provides, this seems to be a pretty standard feature that installshield has and should work without any issues.

may be i am doing something wrong here or may be IS folks areb*llshi**ing... :mad: :mad:
0 Kudos