cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reureu
Level 10

Are the component conditions evaluated in an administrative installation?

Hi there,

I am working on a Basic MSI project, trying to implement the administrative installation sequence.

I have a few components that install various versions of the same file in the same target folder.
These components have conditions based on the value of one property.

• MyComponentA: File: MyFile, Target: MyTarget, Condition: MYPROPERTY=ValueA
  • MyComponentB: File: MyFile, Target: MyTarget, Condition: MYPROPERTY=ValueB
  • MyComponentC: File: MyFile, Target: MyTarget, Condition: MYPROPERTY=ValueC

What I see in the log file is that all components are administratively installed to the destination network share, as if the conditions were all evaluated to "TRUE".

As a result, the file of MyComponentC is the one that is finally installed to the network share, as it is the last one in the Component table.

My questions:

• Am I right in thinking that the component conditions are not evaluated in an administrative installation?
  • Is there a way to force Windows installer to evaluate the component conditions in an administrative installation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Correct; an administrative install should be usable to install any configuration of the product. The conditions might be evaluated differently on each client of this network image.

For how to fix this, change the Source Location related to each of the directories of these files (for example in the properties dialog of the folder in the Files and Folders view). You may need to separate these files into multiple folders with the same Target in order to give them different Source Locations.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

Just one more thing if someone else faces the same issue: I had to enable the option "Always show directory nodes with different IDs separately" under Tools->Options->Directory, so I could see the various target folders of my conditional components.

Regards
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Hi Michael,

It works like a charm. So once again, thank you very much!

Regards
0 Kudos