cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alphonseg
Level 4

Another version of this product is already installed

Sorry for double post, but I just found this (correct) forum.
Using VS2013 and Installshield Limited Edition.
I have a simple winforms project, for which I have created an setup project. When running the setup for the first time the app installs fine.
Made some changes to the winforms project, changing its version from 1.0.13339.1014 to 1.0.13339.1222.
Changed the setup project version from 1.00.0001 to 1.00.0002 and added an upgrade path including min version 1.00.0000 to max version 1.00.1000.
Build the solution and run the installation, there is the message 'Another version of this product is already installed...'.
One would think this should be a simple process, but I must be missing something.
How can an make installing an update simple?
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi,

In your InstallShield setup project, you should do the following:

-> select branch: Organize your setup -> Upgrade Paths

-> add new upgrade path and than press the cancel button

-> the default properties of the new upgrade path should not be changed if you do not plan to change the Product version from the following branch: Organize your setup -> General Information.
If you plan to change the Product version, than you should play with the following upgrade path properties: Min Version/_Include Min Version_, Max Version/_Include Max Version_
-> every time you need to create a new setup, change the Product code from the following branch: Organize your setup -> General Information.

-> please be aware that the Upgrade Code should NEVER be changed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
alphonseg
Level 4

Thanks for the response. However, still have the same problem.
I uninstalled my application from the target machine.
Removed any upgrade path from the setup project.
Cleaned and built the solution (application project + setup project).
Installed on target - no problem.
Made a small change in the application project.
Made NO change to Organize your setup -> General Information.
Added the upgrade path per your instructions.
Cleaned and built the solution. Application's revision increments.
Tried to use the new setup package on the target and still get the same message.
Your instructions were simple enough, don't see how I could have messed up.
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi,

If you are trying to do the upgrade of your application with the same version, then you might have to first remove the current installation(already installed... error is because of this) and then build the new version of your setup for which the upgrade is being applied.

Hope this helps clear the confusion.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
alphonseg
Level 4

Thanks Chaitra,
I think I have a handle on it now. Needed to change the Product Code and nothing else.
0 Kudos