cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scaotran
Level 3

Another version of this product is already insatlled

I have my product installed on several computers, and was able to upgrade from version 1.00.001 to version 1.00.010 without any problems.

I have created a total of 10 setup.exe (from .001 to .010) and never had a problem with installing them.

I made no changes to the Upgrade Code, and ONLY modify the Version number and Max Version each time I create a new setup.exe

I am creating a new setup.exe with version 1.00.011, and ran into this problem when trying to install it on top of 1.00.010.
NOTE: I can install it on top of my 1.00.008, 1.00.009 version BUT NOT on 1.00.10 - Why?

Is there a limit to the Version numbers? Can anyone suggest a fix or workaround to this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

========
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

You should generate and analyze the installation log for clues.
0 Kudos
scaotran
Level 3

Thank you. I will turn on the logging options, and try to run it again.
0 Kudos
scaotran
Level 3

I set the "Create MSI Logs" to "Yes", recreated the setup.exe and ran it as shown here:

Setup.exe /Verbose"C:\temp\install.log"

but nothing was logged, and the "Another version of this product is already installed ..."
dialog popped up again.

Can you suggest a proper way to capture the log before the popup - Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

If this is a basic msi install with a setup.exe wrapper, then the command line should be:
Setup.exe /v"/l*v \"c:\My Log Files\test.log\""

See the following: http://helpnet.installshield.com/isxhelp17/IHelpSetup_EXECmdLine.htm
0 Kudos
scaotran
Level 3

Got it - Thanks.
0 Kudos