cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nnjcsc
Level 6

An error occurred while parsing installer setup file ...\setup.ini

I get this error when running an InstallScript setup that I just built.

--------------------------------------------------------------
An error occurred while parsing installer setup file '.....\setup.ini'
or
the file could not be located.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I have attached the screen print of the error message, but I blocked out the path of the product name.

I found this thread, but the info does not seem applicable.
http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=172071

The setup.ini file is present and not corrupted.

I posted this error on www.installsite.org, and no one replied with a resolution. I have Googled this error to death, and cannot find a resolution. I've search Microsoft for this error, and it's not there either.

I upgraded to InstallShield 2009, built the project and still have the same error.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Are you including any child setups in the Support Files view that include their own setup.ini?
0 Kudos
nnjcsc
Level 6

No setup files in the support view. Just a single .dll that we call and have used in a number of other installations. The .dll has never caused us a problem before.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you reproduce this behavior in a sample project that installs one feature, one component, one file?

Also, at what point in the installation does this error occur?
0 Kudos
WesKinzett
Level 3

Was this resolved? I get this. There must have been something in an update, as I went to an old installer project, ran the setup.exe from the disk1 folder and it worked. I rebuilt it, now it fails.:(
0 Kudos
CGregg
Level 3

The only time I've ever had this sort of issue with an INI file was if any of the elements within the file contained bad names.

e.g. I once had an INI file that had sub-numbers

ex: Instead of listing properties named TonkaTruck1, TonkaTruck2, TonkaTruck3 - they were listed as TonkaTruck[1], TonkaTruck[2], TonkaTruck[3].

So, I would recommend checking Property & Section names... YMMV.
0 Kudos
WesKinzett
Level 3

The setup.ini doesn't have anything like that.
0 Kudos
WesKinzett
Level 3

I have found i get this warning in the during the build.
ISDEV : warning -7141: Error embedding file C:\Users\WES~1.KIN\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.exe into ?. File ? not found.
Can't find much about it.

Also get the Parsing error if I try to uninstall through Add/Remove programs.
0 Kudos
WesKinzett
Level 3

I deleted everything from my appdata\temp folder, rebuilt and now ok!!
0 Kudos
tony12
Level 2

it seems it is very big problem i think it must be resolved
0 Kudos
ThierryB
Level 3

Hey tx.. not sure what installshield has in the temp folder but it resolved my problem too.

I had upgraded IS to v2012 from v12 and kept getting that error on all my upgraded installs.

note easy way to find the temp folder to 'erase' is go to command prompt (or RUN) and Type %temp% local folder opens... just delete everything you can in there.

then things just started working.
0 Kudos