cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eafonsof
Level 2

Always update files in minor upgrade (how to).

I posted this in another list (InstallShield X), but since it's related to InstallShield 2008, I'm posting it here.

This is related to a a Basic MSI project.

I already spent many hours (days to be exact) browsing the web, researching InstallShield documents and help files, Macrovision community, etc, but I still don't have an answer on how to configure the installer to be able to apply a minor upgrade to an existing installation, having all files updated no matter what version (or lack of), date, etc they have.

It looks like the common sense is that it is necessary to have MsiExec.exe run with the following parameters:

"REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vamus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1"

So that, Windows Installer treats the installation as a minor upgrade, reinstalls "ALL" features that were already installed and updates all files no matter their version, date, etc ("a").

Now, the question is:

How one can create an installer (setup.msi and/or setup.exe) that behaves as follows:

a) Installs the product in a machine that does not have the product installed yet (first install);

b) Upgrades the product to the new version (minor upgrade) like mentioned above when there's already a previous version of the same production in the machine.

Note: Ah, don't just tell me I need to set REINSTALLMODE, etc. I need to know HOW, WHERE, WHEN, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Eduardo.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
PilotBob
Level 5

I have the same question. It would be nice if someone here could help. There is a property in the project called ReinstallModeText that I set to amus but setup.exe is still passing vomus.

Thanks in advance.
BOb
0 Kudos