cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmoli
Level 6

Windows Server 2008 - Show the Windows Installer log - doesn't work.

I have recently begun testing my new installer (using IS2009SP2) on Windows Server 2008 (SP2) and have noticed that the "Show the Windows Installer log" checkbox does nothing.

I'll additionally note that prior to installing Server 2008 SP2, I was unable to even find a version of Windows Installer 4.5 (the MSU on the Microsoft site said it wasn't for my version of windows [2008 32-bit Standard]).

The same installer on Server 2003 is working fine.

This is a MSI Installer inside an EXE.

MSI engine V 4.5.6002.18005
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

If I remember correctly, the ShowMsiLog custom action launches Notepad.exe from the WindowsFolder directory. However, I think that on Windows Server 2008, Notepad.exe may be located in the SystemFolder directory. So, can you try changing the path for the ShowMsiLog custom action, and see if that helps? In the Custom Actions and Sequences view, click the ShowMsiLog action. If this action is not displayed, right-click the Custom Actions node and then click Show All Custom Actions. Set the Filename & Commandline setting to something like this:
[SystemFolder]notepad.exe "[MsiLogFileLocation]"

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
schmoli
Level 6

DebbieL, Thank you very much for you help. I can't believe I didn't think to check that, but it worked well. I guess Microsoft decided they didn't need to install a copy of notepad in every system folder they had anymore, and just decided to pick the one that you guys weren't using to launch the custom action. I assume in some future update/next version that custom action will use the proper directory by default?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Yes, the revised location will be used in the future by default. This is logged as issue IOC-000078660.
0 Kudos