cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sairen
Level 7

Altiris & IS2008

One of our QA engineers was creating several layers with different versions of our application through Altiris. On all the previous versions of our product before the current one, he had no trouble. With our latest version, though, he went to create the layer, run our setup.exe, and encountered a problem.

The setup.exe would begin to run, showing a message that it was extracting the MSI, then stop and display the msiexec window that appears if you run just msiexec without arguments or pass it bad command-line parameters.

The only thing I can think of that would affect this is that our 2nd latest version was built with IS12 and the latest (affected version) was built with IS2008. As opaque as Macrovision makes that hand-off between setup.exe and msiexec, I can't imagine anything I may have changed between versions could affect this.

Has anyone had any problems with IS2008 and Altiris? Or, alternatively, can you think of anything I might have changed in the .ism that would alter this exchange?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

The version of Altiris he's using is:
Altiris Software Virtualization - Altiris, Inc (application version 2.1.2084, Library version 2.1.2084, Driver verison 2.1.2084)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sairen
Level 7

Okay, we actually managed this one... I'll share the solution:

With our latest version (the one in IS 2008) I began adding a command-line parameter to be passed to msiexec in the release settings. In particular, I passed: /L*v %TEMP%\\INClientSetup.log
This works great if you're just running the exe in the normal manner. However, it seems when it's being run from Altiris, it cannot resolve %TEMP%. So I had our QA engineer pass a logging override (/V"/L*v C:\setup.log") as a parameter through Altiris. That seemed to work.

Hope this helps someone out.
0 Kudos