cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Administrative Install Questions...

Hi all,

I've never had to handle an Administrative Installation before and I think we might be leaning that way for one of our products.

Currently we have an app that is installed locally on client machines. It places files, registers, creates shortcuts, runs CAs, etc. Now, can I take what I have and run an adminstrative install on a network location (/a)?

In other words, can someone briefly describe how an Administrative Install works? I know the files, etc get extracted to a desired folder on a network. How then do clients hit that folder? Does IT have to push a shortcut to their desktops?

When executed, is the file structure then copied to the local machine, registered, etc?

If someone can sum up how this would work, that would be more than cool. Or if there is an Administrative Install for Dummies somewhere, let me know that too. 😉

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Vijay__K
Level 7

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367541(VS.85).aspx

Hi,
You seem to know what is going on..

The files extracted on the network stay there.

The network admin will then provide the location(shorcut) to installation setup.

The user installing it can choose run from source on the feature selection, this way the files are on the server and never exist on the local user machine.

I am sure other people will know more...

Vijay.
0 Kudos