cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vikansh
Level 3

Adding a string in "MyStrings" category

Hi,

I wanted to add my custom strings in the String table. I added new string with identifier and value under the MyStrings category.
For eg. I have added
Identifier is KEY_FROM
Value is From

Now in my *.uip project file, how do I refer this?

If Iam using one of the other existing categories like Wizard Resources
I will refer in the *.uip project as
$L(com.installshield.wizard.i18n.WizardResources, KEY_FROM)

Please help.
Regards,
Vikansh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

$L(MyStrings, KEY_FROM) should do it.
0 Kudos
Vikansh
Level 3

Providing $L(MyStrings, KEY_FROM ) doesnt solve the problem 😞
I had given
$L(MyStrings, KEY_CURR_VER) $W(newversion.value)
My purpose is:
I need to add custom strings and in the Macrovision help I read
"You can only add new strings to either the "My Strings" category or one that you have added—You cannot add, Import, edit, or delete strings in the "Product," "Wizard," or "WizardX" categories.
"

That is the reason why I decided to add custom strings in "MyStrings" category. Earlier I was using ISMP5.0 and there I could edit the exsiting WizardResources.properties file to add KEY_CURR_VER and its corresponding string value and I could refer it the following way in my *.xml project file
$L(com.installshield.wizard.i18n.WizardResources, KEY_CURR_VER) $W(newversion.value)

In the MacroVision help it says

After a string has been added, it can be used as a property value. This is accomplished by setting the value of the property to the string identifier. The syntax for using a string as the value of a property is as follows, including the parentheses:

(Category.Identifier)

I didnt quite understand the above statement. Does it mean Iam supposed to give something like

(MyStrings.KEY_CURR_VER) $W(newversion.value)

This doesnt appear to work either:(. Is there anything else I need to do?
Could you please help me out on how to achieve the purpose stated above in ISMP11.5?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Anusha
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

My quick test yesterday was to add a string KEY_FROM to the MyStrings category with value "from value...", and use $L(MyStrings, KEY_FROM) in a text field on the Welcome dialog box; and it seemed to appear fine.

If you prefer, you can create localized resource bundles in custom properties files, the way it was done in ISMP 5.0, but the string table editor does essentially the same thing...
0 Kudos
Vikansh
Level 3

Hi,
Thanks for your help, but still the same doesnt work in some cases. Appreciate your help again.

When I tried the same in the Welcome panel, it works. But the difference was in Welcome panel it is a "text" and in another panel I was using it in "description" attribute. But in my panel, I only have the provision to specify it as "description" :(. There is no "text" attribute. Is there anything else I need to do, if I need to specify it in a "description"?

I noticed this when I opened the *.uip file.

JAR Destination Panel
True

AND

True

$L(MyStrings, KEY_LIB_PATH) 0

$L(com.installshield.wizard.i18n.WizardResources,browseWithMn)
$L(com.installshield.wizardx.i18n.WizardXResources,DirectoryInputComponent.DirectoryName)

Basically I did a conversion fro ISMP5.0 to ISMP11.5. The conversion was automatic, as the *.uip file was created automatically when I opened the project of 5.0 in 11.5.
Is there anything else I need to do manually after this conversion for the custom strings to work? Please help

Regards,
Vikansh
0 Kudos