cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
effetto
Level 3

Add exe in custom actions

Hi all,

does anybody know how can i add some executables through custom action (not as prerequisites).
In all cases i have checked, i always got errors like: another installation is in progress or the exe are not applied at all.
I have not found any solution in the related posts in the forum.

Please help me becasue i have lost so much time to find a solution for this and everything that i use have failed.:(

Thanks in advanced
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
effetto
Level 3

Hello Guys,

I achive to include my executables through a basic project using custom actions but i am getting the following error :

"Error 1500.Another installation is in progress.You must complete that installation before continuing this one."

Could you please help me on this. Why is this error?

I have set Install UI Sequence : After ExecuteAction
and Install Exec Sequence : After InstallFiles.

I have search a solution for this but i have not found anything.
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!!
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Windows Installer will allow only one installer execute sequence to run at a time, so you cannot run another MSI installation from the Execute sequence of an MSI.
0 Kudos
effetto
Level 3

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Concerning this do you know how i can configure this in order to run an exe through a basic msi project using custom actions?
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

You should be able to do this with an immediate custom action in the Install sequence, before ExecuteAction, since it is ExecuteAction that initiates the Execute sequence.

You should also note that doing this will result in a custom action that will not execute during a silent install, and is really not a Best Practice, since the Install sequence should ideally not make any changes to the system.

(There really isn't a GOOD way to run an MSI from another MSI except by using chained MSIs.)
0 Kudos
effetto
Level 3

Thanks Kathy. You have absolutely right. It's not a good idea to run an msi from another msi. I try this and there are so many missmatches 😞 ...
I think that if this was able to happen it will be most welcomed for many people.

Anyway...thanks a lot again for your time.
0 Kudos