cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnbell
Level 4

Add VC142 vc_redist.x86.exe as prerequisite

I need to redistribute the vc runtime contained in VC142 vc_redist.x86.exe. According to this MS documentation I need to add this file to my installation as a prerequisite. I have not been able to find documentation on the InstallShield site that explains how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/redistributing-visual-cpp-files?view=msvc-170 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
johnbell
Level 4

Thanks for the link. There seems to be some missing information, though. I have successfully created the prerequisite with the Application To Run set as the vs_redist.x86.exe, it compiles, but when I run the setup.exe it errors that it cannot find the file to run for this prerequisite. How do I make sure the vc_redist.x86.exe is included in the msi or the setup.exe package and the prerequisite knows where to find it?

0 Kudos
johnbell
Level 4

Ok, hopefully almost there. Getting the prerequisite files into the setup.exe requires a setting on the Media\Release\Setup.exe. So now I have the prerequisite installing, but it dos not continue with the main setup setup after installing the prerequisite, I have run the setup again to run the main setup.

0 Kudos

Please check the jpg.

0 Kudos

Hi roman2,

Thanks, I tried your solution and various tweaks of it and still cannot get it work. I am able to log the main msi, where I get:

PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MsiSystemRebootPending property. Its value is '1'

and then:

Skipping action: ScheduleReboot (condition is false)

I am trying to log the prerequisite in the setup.exe using this advice in the help file:

Setup.exe and Update.exe Command-Line Parameters 

but the setup.exe does not recognize the /debuglog switch and fails to run the setup.

When it does run, it is acting as if the prerequisite is running from the setup.exe in a windows installer instance that ends and then the main msi runs in a it's own instance and there is no communication between the two instances.

In any case it is definitely not acting as described in the Behavior page documentation says it should.

0 Kudos