cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rincon
Level 2

Add/Remove programs icon broken after upgrade

I've been using the same icon for add/remove programs with IS Developer 8 and IS 12 Professional. I upgraded to 2009 Pro and received an error similar to this one:

ISDEV : error -3204: Cannot extract icon with index 0 from file H:\XMPLib\Shield\bitmaps\dhr.ico for icon ARPPRODUCTICON.exe

If I remove the icon from the project everything works fine, if I put the icon back I get the above error when I try to build. This icon is still working with my IS 8 and 12 projects. Why would it not work in IS 2009?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I have seen this happen a couple times in the past. Try the following:

In your project, go to the Direct Editor and select the Icon table. Make sure the entry for your icon has a value of 0 in the ISIconIndex column. Then go to the Shortcut table and find the entry for your shortcut. Make sure that there is a correct index value in the IconIndex column.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Rincon
Level 2

SherylSikora wrote:
I have seen this happen a couple times in the past. Try the following:

In your project, go to the Direct Editor and select the Icon table. Make sure the entry for your icon has a value of 0 in the ISIconIndex column. Then go to the Shortcut table and find the entry for your shortcut. Make sure that there is a correct index value in the IconIndex column.

Thanks for the reply,

I verified the value of ISIconIndex is 0 in the Icon table. There are no entries in the Shortcut table (all of our desktop and start menu shortcuts are created using custom actions). This icon is only used for ARPPRODUCTION.exe, should there be an entry in the Shortcut table?
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

I've seen this issue as well. Evidently in InstallShield 2009, a change was made to the code that grabs icon resources.

Some icons are just bitmap files who've had their extension changed to *.ico. These are totally valid in the Windows Shell, but IS2009 will choke on them.

To figure out if you've got this problem, take the *.ico file (or exported stream from your *.dll/*.exe/whatever), and open it in notepad. If the first 2 characters are 'BM', you'll need to open the file in an icon editor, and re-save it. This rewrites the *.ico file header, and allows IS2009 to read it correctly.

The program I used to do this was 'SIB Icon Editor'. It's freeware, I believe.

Lastly, there's a bug work order on this (IOC-000079161) if anyone wants to check the support site later.
0 Kudos