cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmberTiger
Level 4

Active Setup

Hi,

I have used active setup to install our product for multiple users. This works fine, but I have an issue and I am not sure if it possible to get round using Active Setup.

If I run the setep.exe which runs the MSI from C drive - all works fine - but if I install from a network drive and then the other users do not have acces to this drive it fails as it cannot find the MSI. Is there a way round this i.e. copy the setup files to a folder on C and change the reg setting so the Active setup looks for the Msi in that location not where it was installed from?

Another option I have thought of is since I just want 3 reg settings in the current user profile for each user - could I just run an .reg file when the user logs in the first time? No real need to run the full msi - as the files will be installed via the Administrator account?

Are there any other solutions?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
lucask
Level 3

This is taken from Flexera Blog, I hope it will help.

Windows Installer needs the source media to copy files into the user's profile folders. In an environment where workstations are connected to the network, you can put the source media on a server and make sure that the SOURCELIST property points to the appropriate directory on the server.

In an environment where users don't have access to network servers, you may want to copy the source media to a location like:

[CommonAppDataFolder]\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName] Setup\

For example:

C:\ProgramData\Sample Co\Sample App 3000 Setup\

By putting the installation media in a commonly accessible location, you are ensuring that Windows Installer will succeed in repairing the application's per-user data regardless of which user initiates the repair.

BR, Lucas.
0 Kudos