cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmasterson
Level 3

Accessibility

First and foremost my appologies for having to post this thread in this forum but I can find no way of contacting Macrovision directly so...
I have used the tools that Sun gives with it's Accessbridge to check the accessibility of Installshield Multiplatform. I tells me that none (or very few) of the accessibility interfaces build in to the swing classes were implemented in this product which means that the visually-impaired (and others that rely on those interfaces) cannot effectively use this product.
It can sort of be used by hand editing the xml "database" but there is no solid documentation that I have found on what goes where to achieve certain desired outcomes so it involves much experimentation.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

ISMP 11.5 has been tested for compatibility with the Java accessible interface and screen-readers. See IBM's documentation on Java accessibility here: http://www-306.ibm.com/able/guidelines/java/javatest.html.
0 Kudos
tmasterson
Level 3

I did the tests with javaferret and using both Jaws screenreader from Freedom Scientific (two version one of which is the latest) and Hal from Dolphin (also latest version).
I would agree that the installers that are created are accessible however the IDE for creating the installers is not.
Javaferret shows that Accessbridge is loaded but shows nothing for the accessible properties or events.
Using Hal I can get nowhere beyond the tool bar. Using Jaws I can (by a little work and using it in a sort of virtual mode which is not normal) get to the top level of some of the trees but if I go
to say media and then "path variables" the screen reader is taken totally out of the picture. Also just switching from pc (normal) mode the Jaws (virtual) mode takes some ten seconds.

I am perfectly willing to try other things and options and work with people to try and find the solutions to these problems.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Unfortunately, the ISMP design environment (IDE) has not been certified for accessibility functionality, only the installers you create with ISMP.
0 Kudos