Did you mean: 
z_efrati
Level 4

A question about execution sequence of uninstall

Hi,

I have a problem.

I want the uninstall process to start with two steps:
1) Run an executable.
2) Reboot before continuing with the process.

The latest I could put the custom action that executes the executable was just prior to InstallValidate. Later than that, and the uninstall process never gets to executing this custom action.

HOWEVER, the place to put ForceReboot is between InstallInitialize and Installinalize, the uninstall process never gets there!

So, how can I force a system reboot after running the executable? Can any body please shed some light on this issue for me?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
z_efrati
Level 4

To make the installer get to ForceReboot I added a condition to InstallValidate to prevent it from executing on uninstall.

The reboot really executes, however, when the system goes up again, the uninstallation doesn't resume. A message box appears on screen, saying:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

I can see that the keys in the Registry are still there, the service (my service) is still registered, and all the files in the installation folder are still there. The uninstall didn't actually work.

What I cannot see any more are the package in C:\WINDOWS\Installer, the relevant key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer, and the app in Add\Remove Programs.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
harid38
Level 5

z_efrati wrote:
To make the installer get to ForceReboot I added a condition to InstallValidate to prevent it from executing on uninstall.

The reboot really executes, however, when the system goes up again, the uninstallation doesn't resume. A message box appears on screen, saying:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

I can see that the keys in the Registry are still there, the service (my service) is still registered, and all the files in the installation folder are still there. The uninstall didn't actually work.

What I cannot see any more are the package in C:\WINDOWS\Installer, the relevant key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer, and the app in Add\Remove Programs.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I am having the same issue now, did you solved it ??
0 Kudos