cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamidi
Level 2

931013 - How to introduce a tools as a prerequisite?

hi
i want to use InstallShield 2012 LE for creating installation packages for my application which i'm writing in VS 2010 environment. my application needs WinAVR compiler to be installed. i want the created installation package to check whether WinAVR is installed and if not suggest users to install it (so should include it) before installing my application. it may also be required to check for installed WinAVR version and if it's too old decide to upgrade it. i've never tried InstallShield before. so please help me solve the problem.
thank u
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You can check to see if software is installed by going to the Project assistant > Installation Requirements and then selecting "create a custom software condition"

This would allow you to search for something specific to identify if WinAVR was installed or not (a specific file, folder or a registry key)

If the searched for item above is not found, then you can have a custom action launch WinAVR and install it as well.
0 Kudos
hamidi
Level 2

thanks for replying,
checking existence of a file or folder is not sufficient. how can i make sure that the installed prerequisite application is really working? how can i make sure that it's properly installed?
0 Kudos