cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cris_Moore
Level 5

64-bit driver install support?

I am currently using InstallShield 2008 scripts to install USB and printer drivers. This has been working well for W2K, XP(32-bit), and Vista(32-bit). Win7(32-bit) Beta fails, but that is another thread.

We will soon be developing a 64-bit USB and printer drivers that will need to be installed for XP(64-bit), Vista(64-bit), and Win7(64-bit).

What is the recommend way to install 64-bit drivers? There doesn't seem to be any detailed information regarding 64-bit application and driver installation support on this forum or InstallShields web site. From the bit of info I was able to find, it appears 64-bit installation through InstallShield scripts is pretty much useless. 😞

I did find one small note called "Targeting 64-bit Operating Systems". This small note indicated that I would need to use Windows Installer to do 64-bit installations.

Is the only way to do 64-bit driver installs is to use Windows Installer (MSI)?

Thanks,

Cris
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You should be able to use MSI or InstallScript projects to install drivers (32 or 64-bit). Both project types rely on the Microsoft Driver Install Framework (DIFx) to perform driver installation. From InstallScript projects, there are a few functions that are wrappers for DIFxAPI, such as DIFxDriverPackageInstall.
0 Kudos