cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coJeff
Level 6

4354 COM extraction error / network

I'm going to attempt to explain the problem. We were using a Samba server to access the unix file system and com extraction worked just fine. We would map a drive to windows. Well the machine the samba server is running on is old and about to die, so our IS department setup a new dfs mount for us. This mount appears to perform much faster than the samba server but the COM extraction fails here. I've tried the inserting the registry entry I found on a couple threads but it didn't work. I was testing this using the DE and the ISRegSpyUI.exe file. Is there some possible network setting that has to be open/allowed for this to work? I tried the ISRegSpyUI from v2009, v2008 & v12 and they all fail if I go through the new dfs mount but will succeed if I go through the old samba server.

Any ideas on what to try? Thanks!!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
coJeff
Level 6

I should also not that the cmdline builder works just fine with COM extraction, its only in the DE do I have a problem. Do both of them use the same method to extract the COM?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is it possible that you're running into user context difficulties? You didn't mention your client, but if it's Vista, and the drive is mapped only in the limited user context, it would not necessarily be visible at all to the elevated InstallShield processes.
0 Kudos
coJeff
Level 6

I'm still working on XP Pro with all the latest updates. I hate Vista!
0 Kudos
coJeff
Level 6

I just talked to our IS guy and he told me the network area I'm trying to access is on a Net Filer network app. Its possibly something to do with the way the net app displays permissions to windows. I'm betting the RegSpyUI might expect windows type permissions. The IS guy is going to try doing the netapp in a mixed mode. to see if that helps.
0 Kudos